Friday, January 22, 2010

Remote Desktop - Part 5 Are We Done Yet?

This has been a very pleasant surprise for me!  My original intent was to help get rid of the clutter under my desk, and what I ended  up with is being able to remote into any computer.  The fact that I only intend to use remote desktop strictly inside my home network made this exercise easy.

The table below summarizes what software is used to remote desktop from one operating system to another.

Windows systems include Windows XP Pro and Windows 7
Mac systems include Leopard and Snow Leopard
Linux systems include Ubuntu 9.04


To WindowsTo MacTo Linux
From WindowsWindows Remote DesktopVNC ViewerVNC Viewer
From MacMicrosoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac 2Mac OS X Screen SharingScreen Sharing App, Safari or Finder
From LinuxLinux Terminal Server ClientLinux Remote Desktop ViewerLinux Remote Desktop Viewer

That's it for now!  I expect there will be a few more things I may give a try like expanding this table to include servers, other Linux distros, secured access, screen sharing on a Mac using ichat, and remote desktop across the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment