Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Data Backup on Windows 7

Prior to Windows 7, I used SyncBack Freeware to back up my data (see post Data Backup on Windows Using SyncBack Freeware).  Now as I am exploring what Windows 7, I may consider using the built-in capability of Windows 7 for data backup.

To create a data backup plan:
1)  Click Start and choose Control Panel.

2)  Click System and Security and then Back up your computer.

3)  Click Set up backup on the right side of the screen.


4)  Windows will display a list of backup destinations it knows such as other local or external hard drives, CD/DVD RW drives.  In this case, this laptop this not have any of those options.  You can click Save on a network... to save to network location.


5)  If you know of a network location, you can type it in.  If not, you can also browse to it,  Fill in the appropriate credentials (Username and Password).


6)  It will now show where you chose to save your backup.  Click Next.


7)  You will now need to decide what do you want to back up.  By default, Windows will back up data files saved in libraries, on the desktop, and in default Windows folders.  Windows will also create a system image. As I am only interested in doing a data backup, I will choose the option Let me choose and click Next.


8)  I can now specify exactly what I want to back up.  If you just click Next, you will get exactly the same as what Windows would choose.  In my case, I just want to backup the screenshots for this blog and so I selected that folder only and unchecked all the others, and then I clicked Next.


9)  Review your backup settings.   Click Save settings and run backup.



10)  As the backup is running, you will see a progress bar.  The time it takes to complete will be depend on the amount of data to be backed up.


11)  Once complete, you will see stats on the completed backup.  The one final configuration change you should consider is when the backup should run.  You can do clicking Change settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment