Monday, January 18, 2010

Remote Desktop - Part 1 Say Bye-Bye To My KVM Switch



It's time to say by-bye to my KVM switch!!  As much as I find using a KVM (ie. Keyboard-Video-Mouse) switch useful, I am often frustrated by the clutter of thick cables behind and under my desk.  I decided it was time to get rid of it and all the attached cables!  That's was easy!!

So what am I going to do now?  I have a mixture of Windows, Mac and Linux systems in my network.  As I build up and tear down systems on a regular basis, ideally I want to avoid having to install any third-party software.  My preference is to take advantage of what is built into each operating system.  Based on my previous experience, I fully expect that installing a VNC Viewer on Windows systems will be in order.  Hopefully that will be it!

I plan on documenting the procedure on how to remote in from any Windows, Mac or Linux system to any other.  My intention is to focus strictly on desktop systems.  So for Windows, it will be Windows XP Professional and Windows 7; for Mac, it will be Leopard and Snow Leopard; and for Linux, it will be Ubuntu 9.04 only.

I will present my findings as follows:
Part 2 - Remote Desktop - Connecting Back to Windows Systems
Part 3 - Remote Desktop - Connecting Back to Mac Systems
Part 4 - Remote Desktop - Connecting Back to Linux Systems
Part 5 - Remote Desktop - Windows, Mac, Linux Summary

No comments:

Post a Comment