Wednesday, April 28, 2010

French Grammar checking in TextEdit

As my daughter is starting to using text editors more for her school work, I thought I would investigate how well they handle French grammar and spell checking.  Today, I am starting with the TextEdit that we all have installed on our Macs.

For my trivial test, I am going to use a simple sentence.  The sentence I will use is  Je veux verifier mon grammaire.  The corrected sentence should be Je veux vĂ©rifier ma grammaire.


1)  After typing this sentence into TextEdit, this is what is shows:
2)  I next go the menu above  Edit > Spelling and Grammar >  Show Spelling and Grammar.  A new windows pops up.

3)  The first spelling mistake is caught and a correct spelling is suggested.  So I choose the first suggestion, and then click change.  The change should now be reflected in the document.
4)  TextEdit did NOT catch the 2nd error!  Well, at least it caught the spelling mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment