Friday, April 30, 2010

French Grammar checking in OpenOffice

In my last post, I showed an example of French grammar checking in TextEdit.  I am going to use the same example in OpenOffice.


For my trivial test, I am going to use a simple sentence.  The sentence I will use is  Je veux verifier mon grammaire.  The corrected sentence should be Je veux vérifier ma grammaire.

1)  After typing this sentence into TextEdit, this is what is shows:
2)  You can go to Tools > Spelling and Grammar.  Instead, I click English (Canada) option at the bottom and then switch to French (Canada).  No change yet.

3)  Click the Spelling and Grammar icon.
4)   Go to Tools > Spelling and Grammar.

5)  The first correction suggested is correct.  So I click Change.
6)  Unfortunately, it did not suggest any changes.  This is the same result as with TextEdit.  Now that I got the same results with both these editors, I thought I should try a similar experiment in English.  As it turns out, the grammar checking is not much better in English!




No comments:

Post a Comment