Tuesday, November 10, 2009

VMware Fusion 3

VMware Fusion 3 was released a couple of weeks ago.  I downloaded the 30 day trial and installed on my mac mini.  The 30 day trial license key can be obtained from the VMware Team Fusion blog.  I was able to quickly create virtual machines for Windows 7 RC, Windows Vista, Ubuntu 9.10 and Solaris 10.  The only issue I encountered was if any of the virtual machines is running, both the VM and Snow Leopard would run slow.

After looking at Activity Monitor, I decided it was time to upgrade the memory.  My mac mini has a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 GB memory.  After a bit of research I decided on Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-8500 DDR3 1066mhz (KTA-MB1066K2/4G) as I could get it quickly from Canada Computers.  I followed the excellent video instructions at OWC and had it installed very quickly.  Note that I have upgraded both memory and hard drives on mac mini's before.  With 4 GB, both the host and virtual machines now run as I would expect.

I am enjoying using the new version of Fusion and have not encountered any other problems.  The one thing I still want test is the DirectX support.  With the freely-available Virtual Box, many of games my kids wanted to run would fail miserably.

No comments:

Post a Comment